What are the transportation options at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge?
One issue that can be intimidating for many guests staying at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge is figuring out how to travel from the resort to the theme parks, shopping areas, and other Orlando area activities.
I know when our family travels to Disney, knowing our transportation options BEFORE arriving is incredibly comforting.
In this post, you will learn about all the modes of transportation available at Animal Kingdom Lodge, so you know EXACTLY how to get where you need to go.
5 Transportation Options at Animal Kingdom Lodge:
Option #1: Take the FREE Disney bus!
Did you know Disney World provides FREE bus transportation from Animal Kingdom Lodge? Being able to jump on and off these buses is one of the best benefits of staying at a Disney World Resort.
Since the Disney buses are free to ride, it’s the most popular way to travel from Animal Kingdom Lodge. It can be quite crowded at busy times, like right before the parks open. Our family usually leaves about an hour before we want to arrive, just to be safe.
Where is the bus stop at Animal Kingdom Lodge?
There are bus stops right outside the entrance at both Jambo House and Kidani Village. Just take a left when you walk outside and follow the walkway to the bus stop.
What is the bus schedule at Animal Kingdom Lodge?
The buses from Animal Kingdom Lodge provide direct service to:
- Magic Kingdom: It takes 10-15 minutes to get here by bus and is 6.2 miles (10 km) away.
- Epcot: The ride takes approximately 15 minutes. It’s 6 miles (9.6 km) away.
- Hollywood Studios: The bus ride is about 10 minutes and is 4.5 miles (7.2 km) away.
- Animal Kingdom: The bus ride is typically between 5 and 10 minutes. It is 1.5 miles (2.4 km) away.
- Disney Springs: The bus ride is approximately 20 minutes. It is 6.7 miles (10.7 km) away.
In addition, you can get to these locations from Animal Kingdom Lodge with ONE bus transfer.
- Blizzard Beach: Take the bus from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Animal Kingdom. Then, get off the bus and find the shuttle going directly to Blizzard Beach.
- Typhoon Lagoon: Take the bus from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Disney Springs. Then, get off the bus and find the bus going directly to Typhoon Lagoon.
- ANY of the other Disney World Resorts: Do you have dinner reservations at the Contemporary? Or do you want to check out the Polynesian Resort for your next vacation? Luckily, it’s EASY to get to any of the other 20+ Disney hotels from Animal Kingdom Lodge using the free Disney bus transportation. All you need to do is take the bus to Disney Springs or the nearest theme park. Then get off the shuttle and find the bus that goes directly to the resort you want to visit!
- ESPN Wide World of Sports: Check with the front desk regarding bus transportation here. The schedule and operating hours change depending on what events are being held. If there are no direct buses, you must take a bus to one of the parks and transfer to ESPN Wide World of Sports.
Option #2: Take an Uber from Animal Kingdom Lodge
Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are fantastic, convenient options if you’re short on time.
How do I use a rideshare at Animal Kingdom Lodge?
If you don’t want to wait for the bus, using a rideshare service (Uber or Lyft) from Animal Kingdom Lodge is easy. Just open the app and select your destination, and you will be matched with a driver within seconds.
Make sure you mark your location CORRECTLY in the app to avoid any delays. Uber and Lyft drivers can pick you up at the front of Kidani Village or Jambo House, near the front entrance.
Between Uber and Lyft, there are a lot of drivers cruising around. Almost every time I’ve used a rideshare to the parks, I’ve had to wait less than 10 minutes to get picked up. 🙂
Where can I go with an Uber or Lyft from Animal Kingdom Lodge?
One of the best things about using a rideshare service is it can take you anywhere, whether you want to stay at Disney World or not!
If you want to reach your destination quickly, a rideshare service is the way to go. This option can save a lot of time, especially if you just missed the bus. I would also advise using a rideshare if you have an early breakfast at another resort!
In addition, there are so many things to do outside of Disney World. An Uber or Lyft can get you to any of these places:
- Sea World
- Universal Theme Parks
- Downtown Orlando
- Restaurants, parks, etc. Honestly, you can go anywhere you want!
Option #3: Take a TAXI to your destination
I know some people don’t like using Uber or Lyft because they don’t know the person driving or don’t feel comfortable using the app. If this describes you, calling a traditional taxi company for a ride is easy.
Taking a taxi has many of the same benefits as rideshares, such as not waiting for a bus or boat.
Option #4: Take a MINNIE Van from Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney World has partnered with Lyft to provide MINNIE VANS, which are Minnie Mouse-themed mini-vans!
This option will be more expensive than a regular Lyft vehicle, but there are quite a few added benefits:
- They are driven by DISNEY CAST MEMBERS. I know many people like this fact because the drivers are Disney employees, which provides additional peace of mind.
- They can fit up to SIX people.
- The fare includes up to two car seats, which your driver will install for you.
- These vans can fit scooters and wheelchairs, but please pre-arrange your ride if you need this service.
How do I get a Minnie Van to pick me up?
To schedule a Minnie Van, choose your destination using the Lyft app. Then, order the Minnie Van to come and pick you up. Although it probably doesn’t make sense for each trip, it’s perfect when time or energy is in short supply.
Option #5: Drive yourself!
Getting in your car and driving yourself is an often overlooked way to travel from Animal Kingdom Lodge to other Disney locations. The distance to the theme parks and Disney Springs isn’t very far, and driving around Disney World is easy. The hardest part is usually navigating the traffic!
One benefit of driving yourself is that the parking at Disney Springs and all four parks is FREE! Unfortunately, many guests don’t realize (or forget) that if you stay at a Disney World Resort, parking does not cost anything. Free parking is an incredible benefit of staying at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, as parking costs a minimum of $25 per day at each park.
In addition, you have the convenience of being able to go anywhere you want in Orlando without waiting for outside transportation. We often spend a day or two at another location, like the beach or Sea World, and having your own car really helps! 🙂
Can I walk from Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge to the theme parks or other resorts?
No, the distance to the parks and other resorts is too far to walk comfortably. Plus, there are no walking paths that connect them. You must take one of the options described above.
Does the Disney Skyliner stop at Animal Kingdom Lodge?
The short answer to this question is NO. There is no boarding station for the Skyliner at Animal Kingdom Lodge. If you want a Skyliner boarding station at your hotel, stay at the Riviera Resort, Caribbean Beach Resort, Art of Animation, or Pop Century.
Can I take a boat from Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge to the theme parks or other resorts?
No, there is no boat service at Animal Kingdom Lodge. You need to choose one of the options above.
Can I take the Disney Monorail from Animal Kingdom Lodge?
No, the monorail does not have a boarding station at Animal Kingdom Lodge. If you want access to this transportation option from your hotel, you must stay at the Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, or Polynesian Village Resort.
What is your favorite transportation option while staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge?
Leave a COMMENT below!