It can be intimidating to learn all of the transportation options at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. If you find it overwhelming to figure out how to travel from the resort to the theme parks, shopping areas, and other Orlando area activities, this article is for you!
I know when our family travels to Disney, knowing our transportation options BEFORE we arrive is incredibly comforting.
In this post, you will learn about all the modes of transportation available at the Contemporary so you know EXACTLY how to get around.
8 Transportation Options at the Contemporary Resort:
Option #1. Take the Monorail!
A huge benefit of staying at the Contemporary is the convenient access to the famous Disney monorail, which runs directly through the center of the resort.
Where can I go on the Monorail from Disney’s Contemporary Resort?
You can travel to the following places from the Contemporary on the Monorail:
- Transportation & Ticket Center: This is where you would go if you wanted to go to Epcot using the monorail.
- Polynesian Village Resort: This is the second stop on the Resort Monorail line after the Contemporary. If you have dinner reservations or just want to check out the resort, the Monorail is a great way to get there!
- Grand Floridian Resort: The next stop is the Grand Floridian, where you will find Disney’s largest spa, beautiful grounds, and delicious restaurants.
- Magic Kingdom: This is the most popular destination for guests, and arriving at Magic Kingdom via the Monorail is one of those “Disney Must-Do” things for a lot of people!
- Epcot: Take the Resort Monorail line to the Ticketing and Transportation Center, then transfer to the Epcot Monorail. The total trip will take about 30 minutes because of the transfer. The view of Epcot from the Monorail is one of the best at Disney World!
Below is the view as you arrive to Epcot on the monorail.
How long does the Monorail take from the Contemporary?
This depends greatly on where you are going! For example:
- Transportation & Ticket Center: It will take only about 5 minutes to get here from the Contemporary.
- Polynesian Village Resort: This is the second stop on the Resort Monorail line after the Contemporary and takes 5-10 minutes to reach.
- Grand Floridian Resort: The next stop is the Grand Floridian, which you will get to in 10-15 minutes.
- Magic Kingdom: It takes about 15-20 minutes to get to Magic Kingdom on the Resort Monorail because it’s the last stop. It only takes about 5 minutes to get BACK to the Contemporary from Magic Kingdom since it’s the first stop.
- Epcot: The total trip will take about 30 minutes from the Contemporary because you will need to transfer from the Resort Monorail to the Epcot Monorail at the Transportation and Ticket Center.
Where is the Monorail located at the Contemporary Resort?
Incredibly, there is a boarding station for the monorail right inside the Contemporary’s lobby. To find the monorail platform, head to the FOURTH floor, which is called the Grand Concourse, inside the main building. If you have a reservation for Character Dining at Chef Mickey’s, you’ll be able to see the monorail zip through the building as you eat!
Option #2. Walk!
Where can I walk from the Contemporary Resort?
Magic Kingdom is the only park within walking distance of the Contemporary. It’s a huge advantage to be able to get to Magic Kingdom this way since it’s the CLOSEST resort to the park.
While it isn’t feasible to walk anywhere else from here, you can also walk throughout the grounds at the Contemporary and take in the beautiful lake, monorail station, and pool area.
How do I walk from the Contemporary Resort to Magic Kingdom?
It’s simple to find your way to Magic Kingdom – just walk out of the lobby and immediately turn right. Keep walking on the sidewalk past the bus stop. From there, you will see plenty of signs that point you in the correct direction. Make sure you keep following the monorail track, and you’ll end up right at the entrance to Magic Kingdom!
How long does the walk from Contemporary to Magic Kingdom take?
The walking distance between the lobby of the Contemporary and Magic Kingdom is only .5 miles (.8 km). Walking at an average pace of 3 mph should take you about 10 minutes. It’s the quickest way to get there when you factor in lines and waiting for other transportation!
Option #3: Take the FREE Disney bus!
Did you know Disney World provides FREE bus transportation from the Contemporary? Being able to jump on and off these buses is one of the best benefits of staying at a Disney World Resort.
Where can I go from Contemporary by bus?
Contemporary Resort offers DIRECT bus transfers to any of the following places:
- Hollywood Studios: The bus ride is approximately 15 minutes. It is 7.2 miles (11.6 km) away.
- Animal Kingdom: The bus ride is typically between 10-15 minutes. It is 6.5 miles (10.5 km) away.
- Disney Springs: The bus ride is approximately 20 minutes. It is 7.4 miles (11.9 km) away.
Since Epcot and Magic Kingdom are accessible by other transportation options at Contemporary, no bus service is provided.
In addition, you can get to these locations from the Contemporary with ONE bus transfer.
- Blizzard Beach: Take the bus to Animal Kingdom. Then, get off the bus and find the shuttle going directly to Blizzard Beach.
- Typhoon Lagoon: Take the bus to Disney Springs. Then, get off the bus and find the bus going directly to Typhoon Lagoon.
- ANY of the other Disney World Resorts: Do you have dinner reservations at the Animal Kingdom Lodge? Or do you want to check out the Beach Club for your next vacation? Luckily, it’s EASY to get to any of the other 20+ Disney hotels from Contemporary using the free Disney bus transportation. All you need to do is take the bus to Disney Springs or the closest theme park. Then get off the shuttle and find the bus that goes directly to the resort you want to visit!
- ESPN Wide World of Sports: Check with the front desk regarding bus transportation here. The schedule and operating hours change depending on what events are being held. If there are no direct buses, you must take a bus to one of the parks and transfer to ESPN Wide World of Sports.
Where are the bus stops at the Contemporary Resort?
There is only ONE Bus Stop at the Contemporary. As you exit the lobby doors, turn right and walk past the building, and you will see the bus stop ahead.
What is the bus schedule at Contemporary?
When you arrive at the bus stop, you will find a screen showing when the next bus for each destination is expected to arrive.
Bus service typically begins 45 minutes before the parks open and ends 1 hour after they close. Once they start, the buses run continuously throughout the day. I have found that you can typically expect a bus to arrive around every 20 minutes.
You can expect a bit of a line to board the bus at certain times, such as in the morning as the parks are opening. So, give yourself ample time to get to your destination for a reservation or show. Our family usually leaves our room about an hour before we want to arrive, just to be safe.
Option #4. Take a boat! (FREE)
A unique and fun way to travel from Disney’s Contemporary Resort is the launch boat (sometimes called a water taxi).
Where do the boats at the Contemporary go?
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness
The water taxis make a loop from Contemporary Resort to Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness, which is convenient if you have a dining reservation or want to check out one of the other resorts.
Where is the boat dock at the Contemporary?
The boat dock is at the back of the resort, near the pool area. As you exit the main building through the back doors, the dock will be on your left and the pool area on your right. Walk toward the lake, and you’ll see the signs.
Here, you can also view the nighttime water pageant that crosses Seven Seas Lagoon! It’s a light-up parade of floats with an undersea mystery theme. This is one of my favorite FREE activities that comes with staying at the Contemporary.
Option #5: Drive yourself!
Getting in your car and driving yourself is an often overlooked way to travel from the Contemporary to other Orlando locations. Driving around Disney World and the surrounding area is pretty easy. The hardest part is usually navigating the traffic!
One benefit of driving yourself is that the parking at Disney Springs, theme parks, and water parks is FREE! Unfortunately, many guests don’t realize (or forget) that if you stay at a Disney World Resort, parking does not cost anything. Free parking is an incredible benefit of staying at the Contemporary, as parking costs a minimum of $25 per day at each park.
In addition, you have the convenience of being able to go anywhere you want in Orlando without waiting for outside transportation. We often spend a day or two at another location, like the beach or Sea World, and having your own car really helps! 🙂
Option #6: Take an Uber/Lyft from the Contemporary
If you don’t want to ride on or wait for the bus, using a rideshare service (Uber or Lyft) from Disney’s Contemporary Resort is easy. Just open the app and select your destination, and you will be matched with a driver within seconds.
Where can I be picked up by an Uber at the Contemporary?
There is plenty of space for your rideshare driver to stop and pick you up outside the main lobby.
You can also visit places OUTSIDE Walt Disney World Resort with a rideshare service.
We have often stayed at a Disney resort but wanted to visit somewhere else for a day or evening. To help save money, we rarely rent a car, so we have to find alternate transportation.
Luckily, rideshares like Uber can easily take you from the Contemporary to the following locations:
- Sea World
- Universal Theme Parks
- Downtown Orlando
- Restaurants, parks, etc. Honestly, you can go anywhere you want!
TWO rideshare companies operate in Disney World – Uber and Lyft. Between them both, there are a lot of drivers cruising around. Almost every time I’ve used a rideshare from the resorts, I’ve had to wait less than 10 minutes to get picked up.
The one-way fare around Walt Disney World averages about $15. In my opinion, if you have limited time to travel somewhere, it is money well spent!
Option #7: Take a TAXI
I know some people don’t like using Uber or Lyft because they don’t know about the person driving or don’t feel comfortable using the app. If this describes you, calling a traditional taxi company for a ride is easy.
Option #8: Ride in a MINNIE VAN
Disney World has partnered with Lyft to provide MINNIE VANS, which are Minnie Mouse-themed mini-vans!
This option will be more expensive than a regular Lyft vehicle, but there are quite a few added benefits:
- They are driven by DISNEY CAST MEMBERS. I know many people like this fact because the drivers are Disney employees, which provides additional peace of mind.
- They can fit up to SIX people.
- The fare includes up to two car seats, which your driver will install for you.
- These vans can fit scooters and wheelchairs, but please pre-arrange your ride if you need this service.
How do I get a Minnie Van to pick me up at the Contemporary Resort?
To schedule a Minnie Van, choose your destination using the Lyft app. Then, order the Minnie Van to come and pick you up. Although it probably doesn’t make sense for each trip, it’s perfect when time or energy is in short supply.
Can I walk from Disney’s Contemporary Resort to the theme parks or other resorts?
Magic Kingdom is within walking distance of the Contemporary. You can also walk to the Grand Floridian Resort or the Polynesian Resort. Just keep walking on the path as you pass Magic Kingdom, and eventually, you will get to both of these incredible resorts!
If you want to go to the other theme parks, water parks, or one of the other resorts, I recommend using the Disney buses or a rideshare service.
Does the Disney Skyliner stop at the Contemporary Resort?
No, there is no Skyliner boarding station at the Contemporary. If you would like access to the Skyliner from your resort, you should stay at Caribbean Beach, Riviera, Pop Century, or Art of Animation.
Can I take the Disney Monorail from the Contemporary?
YES! In fact, the monorail runs directly through the Contemporary’s main building. See option #1 above for more information.
What is your favorite transportation option while staying at Disney’s Contemporary?
Leave a COMMENT below!