It can be intimidating to try and find all of the transportation options at Disney’s Riviera Resort. If you find it overwhelming to figure out how to travel from the resort to the theme parks, shopping areas, and other Orlando area activities, this article is for you!
I know when our family travels to Disney World, knowing our transportation options BEFORE we arrive is incredibly comforting.
In this post, you will learn about all the options available at Riviera, so you know EXACTLY how to get around.
6 Transportation Options at Riviera:
Option #1: Take the Disney Skyliner! (free)
The easiest (and most fun) way to travel from Riviera Resort is to take the Disney Skyliner! One huge benefit of staying at Riviera is a Skyliner boarding station at the resort.
In case you didn’t know, the Disney Skyliner is a transportation option that lets you ride high over Disney World in aerial gondolas! I think it’s the MOST relaxing and fun way to get around Disney World, and I never pass up an opportunity to use it.
Where can I go on the Skyliner from the Riviera Resort?
The Skyliner can take you to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and a few of the other resorts at Walt Disney World. Pay attention to the signs to board the correct gondola when you arrive.
Here are the places you can go on the Skyliner from the Riviera Resort:
- Hollywood Studios: This is my favorite theme park at Walt Disney World! This relaxing trip on the Skyliner gives you an amazing view as you arrive. First, you’ll ride to Caribbean Beach station. Then, exit your gondola and follow the signs to the Hollywood Studios line. The total trip to Hollywood Studios from Riviera is about 15-20 minutes.
- Art of Animation and Pop Century Resorts: If you’re considering staying at either of these sister resorts on another Disney vacation, a great way to check them out is on the Skyliner. It stops in the middle of the two resorts, so you can pick which one to look at first! You’ll need to switch to a new gondola at Caribbean Beach, and the total ride time is about 10 minutes.
- Caribbean Beach Resort: This resort is right next to Riviera, but its Skyliner station is at the other end of the resort. Whether you want to eat at one of the restaurants or check out the resort for a future visit, the Skyliner is a great way to get to Caribbean Beach. The Skyliner ride to this resort takes 5-6 minutes.
- Epcot: As with Hollywood Studios, getting to Epcot is fun and relaxing with a Skyliner trip. You’ll be dropped off at the International Gateway, near the France Pavilion, instead of the main entrance. I actually like this entrance better because it has great access to the International Showcase, my favorite part of Epcot. The trip from Riviera to Epcot is 9-10 minutes long, with no stops or connections.
Where is the Skyliner located at Riviera?
Check out the map below to see exactly where the Disney Skyliner is located at the Riviera. As you can see, no matter where you stay at the resort, you have less than a 5-minute walk to the boarding area!
Option #2: Take the FREE Disney bus!
Did you know Disney World provides FREE bus transportation from Riviera Resort? Being able to jump on and off these buses is one of the best benefits of staying at a Disney World Resort.
Where can I go from Disney’s Riviera by bus?
Riviera offers DIRECT bus transfers to the following places:
- Magic Kingdom: The bus ride is approximately 10 minutes. It is 4.2 miles (6.7 km) away.
- Animal Kingdom: The bus ride is typically between 10-15 minutes. It is 3.8 miles (6.1 km) away.
- Disney Springs: The bus ride is approximately 10 minutes. It is 2.5 miles (4 km) away.
Because the Disney Skyliner provides transportation to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, these two parks have no bus service. If the Skyliner isn’t working, then Disney will send buses to Riviera.
In addition, you can get to these locations from Riviera with ONE bus transfer.
- Blizzard Beach: Take the bus to Animal Kingdom. Then, get off the bus and find the shuttle going directly to Blizzard Beach.
- Typhoon Lagoon: Take the bus to Disney Springs. Then, get off the bus and find the bus going directly to Typhoon Lagoon.
- ANY of the other Disney World Resorts: Do you have dinner reservations at the Wilderness Lodge? Or do you want to check out the Beach Club for your next vacation? Luckily, it’s EASY to get to any of the other 20+ Disney hotels from Riviera using the free Disney bus transportation. You only need to take the bus to Disney Springs or the closest theme park. Then get off the shuttle and find the bus that goes directly to the resort you want to visit!
- ESPN Wide World of Sports: Check with the front desk regarding bus transportation here. The schedule and operating hours change depending on what events are being held. If there are no direct buses, you must take a bus to one of the parks and transfer to ESPN Wide World of Sports.
Where are the bus stops at Riviera located?
There is only ONE bus stop at Riviera Resort. Make sure you check the signs and line up for the bus going to your destination.
- Line #1. Magic Kingdom
- Line #2. Epcot – bus service is only offered to Epcot when the Skyliner isn’t running.
- Line #3. Hollywood Studios – bus service is only offered to Hollywood Studios when the Skyliner isn’t running.
- Line #4. Disney Springs, Animal Kingdom, & Waterparks
Here is a map of where you can find the bus stop at Riviera.
What is the bus schedule at the Riviera?
When you arrive at any bus stop, you will find a screen showing when the next bus for each destination is expected to arrive. (If there is no bus service, the screen will give you the alternate transportation option.)
Bus service typically begins 45 minutes before the park opens and ends 1 hour after it closes. Once they start, the buses run continuously throughout the day. I have found that you can typically expect a bus to arrive around every 20 minutes.
Since Disney buses are free to ride, they’re the most popular way to travel from Riviera Resort. You can expect a bit of a line to board the bus at certain times, such as in the morning as the parks are opening. So, give yourself ample time to get to your destination for a reservation or show. Our family usually leaves our room about an hour before we want to arrive, just to be safe.
Option #3: Take an Uber/Lyft from Riviera
If you don’t want to ride on or wait for the bus, using a rideshare service (Uber or Lyft) from Riviera Resort is easy. Just open the app and select your destination, and you will be matched with a driver within seconds.
Where can I be picked up by an Uber or Lyft?
The best place to be picked up is right outside the lobby of the Riviera. There’s plenty of space for your rideshare driver to pick you up and even a covered loading area in case of rain (like in my photo below!)
You can also visit places OUTSIDE Walt Disney World Resort with a rideshare service.
We have often stayed at a Disney resort but wanted to visit somewhere else for a day or evening. To help save money, we rarely rent a car, so we have to find alternate transportation.
Luckily, rideshares like Uber can easily take you from the Riviera to the following locations:
- Sea World
- Universal Theme Parks
- Downtown Orlando
- Restaurants, parks, etc. Honestly, you can go anywhere you want!
TWO rideshare companies operate in Disney World – Uber and Lyft. Between them both, there are a lot of drivers cruising around. Almost every time I’ve used a rideshare from the resorts, I’ve had to wait less than 10 minutes to get picked up.
The one-way fare around Walt Disney World averages about $15. In my opinion, if you have limited time to travel somewhere, it is money well spent!
Option #4: Take a TAXI
I know some people don’t like using Uber or Lyft because they don’t know about the person driving or don’t feel comfortable using the app. If this describes you, calling a traditional taxi company for a ride is easy.
Option #5: Ride in a MINNIE VAN
Disney World has partnered with Lyft to provide MINNIE VANS, which are Minnie Mouse-themed mini-vans!
This option will be more expensive than a regular Lyft vehicle, but there are quite a few added benefits:
- They are driven by DISNEY CAST MEMBERS. I know many people like this fact because the drivers are Disney employees, which provides additional peace of mind.
- They can fit up to SIX people.
- The fare includes up to two car seats, which your driver will install for you.
- These vans can fit scooters and wheelchairs, but please pre-arrange your ride if you need this service.
How do I get a Minnie Van to pick me up?
To schedule a Minnie Van, choose your destination using the Lyft app. Then, order the Minnie Van to come and pick you up. Although it probably doesn’t make sense for each trip, it’s perfect when time or energy is in short supply.
Option #6: Drive yourself!
Getting in your car and driving yourself is an often overlooked way to travel from Riviera to other Orlando locations. Driving around Disney World and the surrounding area is pretty easy. The hardest part is usually navigating the traffic!
One benefit of driving yourself is that the parking at Disney Springs and all the theme parks is FREE! Unfortunately, many guests don’t realize (or forget) that if you stay at a Disney World Resort, parking does not cost anything. Free parking is an incredible benefit of staying at Riviera, as parking costs a minimum of $25 per day at each park.
In addition, you have the convenience of being able to go anywhere you want in Orlando without waiting for outside transportation. We often spend a day or two at another location, like the beach or Sea World, and having your own car really helps! 🙂
Can I walk from Disney’s Riviera to the theme parks?
No, you cannot walk to any of the theme parks, water parks, or Disney Springs from the Riviera Resort. Not only would it be an incredibly far walk, but no walking paths connect them.
Can I walk ANYWHERE from the Riviera?
The ONLY place you can walk to from Riviera Resort is Caribbean Beach, which is located to the south. Caribbean Beach is ENORMOUS – easily one of the largest resorts at Walt Disney World.
Does the Disney Skyliner stop at Riviera?
YES! This is my FAVORITE form of transportation at Disney World. 🙂 You can read more about the Skyliner in Option #1 of this article.
Can I take the Disney Monorail from Riviera?
No, the monorail does not have a boarding station at the Riviera. If you want access to this transportation option from your hotel, you must stay at the Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, or Polynesian Village Resort.
Does the Riviera Resort offer boat transportation?
No, boat transportation is not offered at this Disney resort.
What is your favorite transportation option while staying at Riviera?
Leave a COMMENT below!