What are the transportation options at Disney’s Boardwalk Inn Resort?
It can be confusing to figure out how to travel from the resort to the theme parks, shopping areas, and other Orlando area activities.
I know when our family travels to Disney, knowing our transportation options BEFORE we arrive is incredibly comforting.
In this post, you will learn about all the modes of transportation available at the Boardwalk so you know EXACTLY how to get around.
8 Transportation Options at Disney’s Boardwalk:
Option #1. Walk from Disney’s Boardwalk!
One of the BIGGEST benefits of staying at the Boardwalk Inn is that you can walk to quite a few Disney attractions. I can’t stress this point enough, because being able to walk is MUCH quicker and less stressful than taking a bus, in my opinion!
Where can I walk from the Boardwalk Inn?
There are tons of destinations you can walk to from Boardwalk Inn:
If you plan to visit Epcot during your stay at Boardwalk Inn, don’t skip this relaxing and fun walk! After passing the Boardwalk, you’ll continue down the path, cross the bridge over the canal, and turn right.
From there, you can enter Epcot at the International Gateway in the heart of France in the World Showcase! It’s about a 15-minute walk from Boardwalk Inn.
You can arrive at Hollywood Studios in about 20 minutes if you walk there from the Boardwalk Inn. You’ll follow the canal on a walking path directly to the front of the park!
But don’t rush, and keep your eyes peeled for wildlife, including Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets!
This is the closest destination because the Boardwalk Inn is a part of the Boardwalk. There are tons of things to do here as well! The Boardwalk has restaurants, street performers, a classic arcade, and incredible views over Crescent Lake. You only have to step out of your room to get there!
Beach Club & Yacht Club Resorts:
Maybe you have a dinner reservation at one of these resorts or want to check them out for your next trip to Disney. Whatever the reason, you can walk to the Beach Club and Yacht Club resorts from the Boardwalk in about 10 minutes! Just follow the path from the Boardwalk around Crescent Lake.
Walt Disney World’s Dolphin and Swan Resorts:
The restaurants, shops, and incredible architecture of the Dolphin and Swan Resorts are steps away from Boardwalk Inn. Treat yourself to a meal at one of the many sit-down restaurants or stroll around the beautiful grounds!
Option #2. Take the Friendship Boats
A fun and relaxing way to travel from Boardwalk Resort is to take FREE boat transportation using Disney’s Friendship Boats.
Where is the Friendship Boat Dock at Boardwalk Inn?
The boat dock is located on the Boardwalk, which is at the back of Boardwalk Inn. It’s right in the middle of the curved walkway filled with restaurants and entertainment. You should see the dock called Promenade Pier, and that’s where you can board the Friendship Boats.
Where can I go by boat from Boardwalk Inn?
There are quite a few destinations you can get to on the Friendship Boats! Be sure to read the sign at Promenade Pier and pick the right line for your destination.
Line up on the LEFT for these destinations:
- Yacht Club and Beach Club Resorts
- Walt Disney World’s Swan and Dolphin Hotels
- Hollywood Studios
Line up on the RIGHT to go to Epcot.
And don’t worry if you have a stroller, as they are allowed on the boats, but you must fold them. The Friendship Boats are also accessible for wheelchairs and motorized scooters.
How long is the boat ride from Disney’s Boardwalk Inn?
The length of your boat trip will depend on which destination you’re heading to:
- Epcot: The boat ride is VERY short, only about 3 minutes. It’s a direct route from Boardwalk Inn, and you will arrive at the International Gateway.
- Yacht Club & Beach Club Resorts: This is the first stop the Friendship Boats make after picking up guests at Boardwalk Inn. It takes about 5 minutes to get here.
- WDW Dolphin & Swan Hotels: The stop after Yacht Club and Beach Club takes 8-10 minutes to reach, depending on how many people board or exit the boat.
- Hollywood Studios: Depending on the length of the stops, it can take between 15 and 30 minutes to reach Hollywood Studios from Boardwalk Inn. If you’re in a hurry, you can walk from Boardwalk Inn to the Dolphin & Swan dock in about five minutes to avoid extra stops!
Option #3: Ride and relax on the Disney Skyliner!
My FAVORITE way to travel from the Boardwalk Inn is on the Disney Skyliner.
Where is the Skyliner Boarding Station at Boardwalk Inn?
While there technically isn’t a station at the resort, it’s only a 5-minute walk to the Skyliner station at Epcot’s International Gateway. As you walk out the back of Boardwalk Resort, take a right on the wooden Boardwalk along Crescent Lake to get there. Various signs point you to Epcot.
Where can I go from the Boardwalk Inn on the Skyliner?
You can go to the following places via the Skyliner when you board at the International Gateway station:
- Caribbean Beach Resort: This Skyliner station is the main hub, so you can go to any of the other locations from here. Additionally, you can check out the island in the middle of the lake, the Spanish Citadel-inspired main pool, or Old Port Royale’s dining and shopping area. It takes about 15 minutes to get to Caribbean Beach on the Skyliner.
- Hollywood Studios: This is my favorite theme park at Walt Disney World! This relaxing trip on the Skyliner takes you to the front gate, giving you an amazing view as you arrive. You’ll see the Hollywood Tower of Terror on your left. In addition to one of the most thrilling rides, Hollywood Studios is also home to all of the Star Wars attractions and some of the best dining at Walt Disney World. The Skyliner trip from the Boardwalk Inn to Hollywood Studios takes about 30 minutes.
- Art of Animation and Pop Century Resorts: If you’re considering staying at either of these sister resorts on another Disney vacation, a great way to check them out is on the Skyliner. It stops in the middle of the two resorts, so you can pick which one to look at first! The Skyliner trip from the Boardwalk Inn to Art of Animation and Pop Century takes about 25 minutes.
- Riviera Resort: Whether you’re having a character breakfast at Toppolino’s Terrace or checking out the resort for a future visit, the Skyliner is a great way to get to Riviera. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Riviera Resort from the Boardwalk Inn by Skyliner.
Option #4: Take the FREE Disney bus From Boardwalk Inn!
Did you know that Disney World provides FREE bus transportation from Boardwalk Inn? This is one of the greatest benefits of staying at a Walt Disney World Resort because you don’t have to worry about finding your own transportation to the parks and Disney Springs.
Where can you take the bus from Boardwalk Inn?
The buses at Disney’s Boardwalk Resort provide direct service to:
- Magic Kingdom: The bus ride is approximately 10 minutes. It is 4.5 miles (7 km) away.
- Animal Kingdom: The bus ride is typically between 10-15 minutes. It is 4.8 miles (7.2 km) away.
- Disney Springs: The bus ride is approximately 10 minutes. It is 2.7 miles (4.3 km) away.
No bus service is offered to Epcot or Hollywood Studios from the Boardwalk Inn. That’s because Disney provides boat transportation to both theme parks. In addition, both parks are also close enough to walk!
In addition, you can get to these locations from Boardwalk with ONE bus transfer.
- Blizzard Beach: Take the bus from the Boardwalk Inn to Animal Kingdom. Then, get off the bus and find the shuttle going directly to Blizzard Beach.
- Typhoon Lagoon: Take the bus from the Boardwalk Inn to Disney Springs. Then, get off the bus and find the bus going directly to Typhoon Lagoon.
- ANY of the other Disney World Resorts: Do you have dinner reservations at the Wilderness Lodge? Or do you want to check out the Polynesian Resort for your next vacation? Luckily, it’s EASY to get to any of the other 20+ Disney hotels from Boardwalk using the free Disney bus transportation. All you need to do is take the bus to Disney Springs or the closest theme park. Then get off the shuttle and find the bus that goes directly to the resort you want to visit!
- ESPN Wide World of Sports: Check with the front desk regarding bus transportation here. The schedule and operating hours change depending on what events are being held. If there are no direct buses, you must take a bus to one of the parks and transfer to ESPN Wide World of Sports.
Where is the bus stop located at Boardwalk Inn?
The bus stop is just a short walk outside the main lobby entrance.
When you exit the front lobby, turn left and follow the covered walkway. Walk until you arrive at a pavilion, where you will turn right to head to the bus stop.
What is the bus schedule from Boardwalk Inn?
Bus service typically begins 45 minutes before the parks open and ends 1 hour after they close. Once they start, the buses run continuously throughout the day. I have found that you can typically expect a bus to arrive around every 20 minutes.
You will find a screen at the bus stop showing when the next bus to each destination is expected to arrive.
Once you board the bus and leave, I estimate that your ride should take a little under 15 minutes, but this depends on traffic. Our family usually leaves our room about an hour before we want to arrive, just to be safe.
Option #5: Take an Uber or Lyft from the Boardwalk Inn
If you want to reach your destination quickly, using a rideshare service (Uber or Lyft) from Boardwalk Inn is easy. This option can save a lot of time, especially if you just missed the bus.
The easiest place to meet your driver is outside near Boardwalk Resort’s front lobby, as there are plenty of spots for them to stop and for you to get in the car.
You can also visit places OUTSIDE Walt Disney World Resort with a rideshare service.
We have often stayed at a Disney resort but wanted to visit somewhere else for a day or evening. To help save money, we rarely rent a car, so we have to find alternate transportation.
Luckily, rideshares like Uber can easily take you from Boardwalk to the following locations:
- Sea World
- Universal Theme Parks
- Downtown Orlando
- Restaurants, parks, etc. Honestly, you can go anywhere you want!
TWO rideshare companies operate in Disney World – Uber and Lyft. Between them both, there are a lot of drivers cruising around. Almost every time I’ve used a rideshare from the resorts, I’ve had to wait less than 10 minutes to get picked up.
The one-way fare around Walt Disney World averages about $15. In my opinion, if you have limited time to travel somewhere, it is money well spent!
Option #6: Take a TAXI
I know some people don’t like using Uber or Lyft because they don’t know about the person driving or don’t feel comfortable using the app. If this describes you, calling a traditional taxi company for a ride is easy.
Option #7: Ride in a MINNIE VAN
Another transportation option at the Boardwalk Inn is to take a Minnie Van!
Disney World has partnered with Lyft to provide MINNIE VANS, Minnie Mouse-themed mini-vans! Please be aware that this option will be more expensive than a regular Lyft vehicle.
Here are the advantages of using a Minnie Van:
- A complimentary car seat.
- A big benefit of using a Minnie Van from Boardwalk is they are driven by DISNEY CAST MEMBERS. I know many people like this fact because the drivers are Disney employees, which provides additional peace of mind.
- Accessible vans are available and provide two spaces for mobility devices.
- Minnie Vans can access areas that regular rideshares cannot. One example is that you can get dropped off directly in front of Magic Kingdom instead of at the Transportation and Ticket Center!
If you want to use a Minnie Van, open up the Lyft app while inside Boardwalk Inn and choose your destination. You should see the option to ride in a Minnie Van and the price. If you’re satisfied, order the Minnie Van to come and pick you up!
As you can see below, Minnie Vans are much more expensive than a typical Lyft vehicle and driver. While it’s not a cost-effective strategy for everyday travel, it’s a great option if you’re short on time or want a special ride!
Option #8: Drive yourself!
Getting in your car and driving yourself is an often overlooked way from Boardwalk Resort to the parks or Disney Springs. It’s probably the fastest way to travel since you don’t have to wait for someone to pick you up. 🙂
The driving distance around Disney World is reasonable, and you can get to most locations from the Boardwalk within 20 minutes, depending on traffic.
And here is the BEST news about driving yourself around Walt Disney World:
As long as you stay at the Boardwalk Inn, the parking at the theme parks is FREE! Unfortunately, many guests don’t realize (or forget) that parking at any of the parks costs nothing if you stay here.
Getting FREE parking at the theme parks is an incredible benefit of staying at Disney’s Boardwalk Inn Resort, as parking costs a minimum of $25 per day at each park.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Does the Disney Skyliner stop at the Boardwalk Inn?
No, there is no Skyliner Boarding Station at the Boardwalk Inn. However, there is a Skyliner station within walking distance. Walking to the Skyliner boarding station at Epcot’s International Gateway only takes about five minutes.
Can I take the Disney Monorail from the Boardwalk Inn?
No, the monorail does not have a boarding station at Disney’s Boardwalk. If you want access to this transportation option from your hotel, you must stay at the Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, or Polynesian Village Resort.
What is your favorite transportation option while staying at Disney’s Boardwalk Inn?
Leave a COMMENT below!